Lamb Osso Bucco on a Mujaddara bed of whole wheat couscous and red lentils in a root vegetable gravy.
How to prepare
- Heat up a small amount of olive oil in a heavy pot or frying pan. Dust the osso bucco with flour and fry on all sides. Remove from pan.
- Add ½ a liter of red wine to pan and reduce to half. Strain.
- Add olive oil to pan and fry the vegetables until lightly browned.
- Add the rest of the wine and reduce to half; add the thyme, bay leaves and dried peppers, and bring to a boil. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Arrange the meat in a baking pan, pour over the liquid and vegetables, and cover with baking paper and aluminum foil. Bake in oven at 180°C (350°F) for 1½ to 2 hours.
- Cook lentils until soft and strain.
- Place the couscous in a bowl, add 2 cups of warm water and soak for about 10 minutes. Strain off any remaining water. Fry the onion in some olive oil until golden brown and mix with lentils and couscous.
Place the couscous and lentils in the center of the plate, place osso bucco on top and pour over gravy.
Recipe courtesy of Amir Calfon, Head Chef, Carmel Forest Health Center and Spa